Saturday, July 24, 2021

'Couch Surfer' the making of

 Couch Surfer



When Hip Hop first became big (back when we were all younger) I really liked the funky beats, loops and bass lines. The drum-like lyric rapping was also great. I did get a little tired of some Rappers telling us how 'fresh' they were, or  how much money they had, or their unpleasant description of women. However, the - music - was sometimes magnificent in its power and 'in your face' attack.  I still like the beats and bass lines the most and the transformation of that into more melodic genres.

Then there is Chill or LoFi, which I don't actually listen to a lot but is on certain dedicated stations for old stressed and burned out ex-party animals, rockers and Hip Hop kids that have gone over the hill and faraway.

So, having no ideas of my own but a really old CD ROM called 'Hip Hop 3 - Street Style' EJay that I had bought at a thrift shop years ago, I committed a musical crime and used the street urgent, tough, gritty sounds on it and put together a pretty Chill track.

Here is the CD ROM:


As you can see, the gentleman on the front cover is already questioning my actions and not sure what to think about my musical genre pushing.

For me, it was fun. Here is a short clip as I was in the process of making it (just set up my mobile/cell phone on time lapse):



Even though I made the whole thing on computer using samples off the disk, I still needed to mix it and it all takes time:


So, whatever you think of it, it was good to have a break from trying not to fall into the same playing and it is what it is, so chill :-)





 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment