Saturday, April 18, 2015

EDM : a casual trip to the library that made the next move

When my kids were younger we would often go to the local library to borrow the usual books and kids DVDs that is compulsory to keep the restless tribe at home from uprising into rebellion.

I always tried also to get CD's of music that I hadn't heard before, world music, or a genre of music that was sounding interesting on the radio.

One particular day, years ago, I went by myself and came home with The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk and Groove Armada. I played them over a few times and really grew to like the sound and their ideas. My son John also took note. He later told me that  I had accidentally brought home three bands that represented 'Big Beat' without realising it.

Something clicked in me and I started to listen to Electronic Dance Music more than I had before - as well as still listening to guitar and world music.


John and I finally got to see The Chemical Brothers play live as a DJ Set in Adelaide (I was probably the oldest person there). Though I didn't know a lot of what they were playing - the vibe was great.


Here we are in 2012 using my very, very old Nokia phone - I took a few seconds to catch the moment:





Not a guitar in sight but a great happening. Music is music as far as I'm concerned whatever you use to make it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment